Students Can Get A Flying Certificate After Completing Class

Salma Escallon, and Trang Nguyen, Editor

Photo by: Mikkah Pacheco

AMES (Academy of Math, Engineering, and Science) hosted a drone flying tournament on October 26, 2022, at the Cottonwood campus for students who took the class titled “Unmanned Aerial Systems.”   In addition to preparing for the tournament, students can get their drone flying certificates, which can lead to career opportunities during and following high school. 

“At the age of 16, students can have a drone flying license, and make money by flying drones with people,” said Brian Clancy, the instructor for the class.

The class is a CTE (Career and Technical Education) course at AMES and was recently implemented by the state of Utah as a semester class. The main goal of the class is to help students get their pilot license (called FAA part 107) and to teach things like reading maps, checking for weather before going out, knowing safety regulations, and ,of course, flying drones. 

Cottonwood students can take this class if there are open slots available. If students are interested in taking this AMES class, they can talk to their Cottonwood counselors. The class is offered during the fifth period for AMES on A days, which is after school for Cottonwood students.

“The main goal of the class is to teach students how to check the weather before flying, and prepare them for the drone-flying test”, said Clancy.