Hiring a New Coach

Cottonwood High School will have a new football coach for the 2017 season.

Tomas D'Anella, Assistant Editor, Sports Editor

For updates to this article, please see New Coach At Cottonwood.

After a 1-9 record in 2016, Cottonwood High School has elected to assign a new head football coach. Principal Terri Roylance, an administration committe, and football parents met with each other and coaches multiple times to choose the next head coach for Cottonwood High School.

During this hiring process, Principal Roylance and her committee experienced some uncommon setbacks: Granite School District put a firm “No” on their ideal coach. In an interview with Mrs. Roylance, she stated this has never happened to her before nor has she heard of it before.

Despite the setbacks, Cottonwood has powered through and provided reassurance to the football team multiple times. The long struggle has left many questioning: How does a school hire a new coach?

Before a school names a new head coach, they must confront the idea that  they need a new coach. While most outside eyes assume the win-loss record takes precedence, Principal Roylance considers a number of aspects. She looks for a well-run program, developed character, and a team that is on track and working together. If the current coach is not in-line with their expectations, the Athletic Director, Matt Baumann, approaches the principal about a new coach.

Of course, the school isn’t always the one to bring up the idea. There are instances where the current coach approaches the Athletic Director about leaving his position. Family issues and time restraints can keep coaches from returning for the next season.

When the administration agrees to bring in a new coach, the first step is to post a listing on the Granite School District website. The listing must remain on the site for five business days. While the ad is posted, interested coaches submit an application and await word from the school.

Principal Roylance and her staff meet to interview the applicants and filter their options. While hiring the football coach, they started with 24 prospective coaches, chose 17 from that group, and finally narrowed it down to four before deciding.

Before announcing the new coach to the public, the school must submit a ‘Recommendation for Hire’ to the district.

Normally, the hiring process can take as little as 5 days. Cottonwood High School started the process for the football coach in November of 2016.

Cottonwood High School takes the hiring process very seriously and hopes to fill each position with a coach to help advance our team.