Filed under News

How do you run for Student Government?

Here are some things you should know if you would like to become a student body officer.

What does a student body officer (SBO) do ?

Student body officers are the students who represent all the students in school. They actively work as leaders on student council activities. It’s important for them to be a part of all community service projects that go on in school. They set positive examples for all students and the other members of the SBO team.  SBO’s  also set up school events like prom, homecoming and fun assemblies.

What makes a good student body officer ?

It’s important to be dedicated to the job that you are doing.  When a student decides to run for SBO, he or she is given a packet of the requirements by Ms. Tomas.   The requirements explain that you need to have a lot of integrity and school pride. You need to make sure you are trusted at school and that you go above and beyond to assist teachers and help the communities within the school.  It’s also important to use  your time wisely and spend some time interacting with your student body rather than your phone. Do not complain about your responsibility but desire it. You are also required to love your school and be proud of it.

How do you do you run?

First, start working on your election speech and make sure it is easy to understand. It is also important that you clearly understand the position you are running for so you can know what to campaign about. Try to do your utmost to campaign daily and be polite to everyone.

Here is some advice for the students who are planning to run:

Current Student Body Officers advise candidates to not be a quitter or complainer because you will be miserable. You need to step out of your comfort zone to fulfill your responsibilities and even win your campaign. A 3.0 GPA  is required, so make sure your grades are acceptable and have good work ethicYou also need to be really organized because you will be working all year long  That includes being active and outgoing. Again, have school pride and participate in school activities.

Those involved in student government love what they do.   Ms. Thomas, the SBO adviser said,  “I love having SBO’s and get to work with a lot of students. I also love how I am involved in school activities and get know everything that is happening in school.”

Senior SBO, Andrew Marino, says, “I love working with all the other student leaders in school because they inspire me to work hard. I also like how I get to know different students in school.” 

Dallin Anderson, SBO artist, explained,  “I love to help out the students and support school activities. I love it because I am able to interact with wide variety of students.”

If you are planning on running make sure you meet the requirements and have a strong work ethic.