New Coach at Cottonwood

New football coach, Bart Bowen, plans to get more athletes in the weight room to prepare for the upcoming season

Tomas D'Anella

Tomas D'Anella

Tomas D'Anella, Assistant Editor, Sports Editor

The search is over for Cottonwood High School’s new football coach. Principal Terri Roylance and an administration committee announced former Kearns Offensive Coordinator and Offensive Line Coach, Bart Bowen as the new head coach for the Cottonwood Colts.

Coach Bowen first introduced himself to the players during their weight training class on January 24. He made a point that to return to what Cottonwood once was, they must return to what they took pride in and had painted in the weight room: Colt Iron.

Tomas D’Anella
The new coach will enforce the Colt Iron effect on his athletes in the weight room.

The new coach has set a workout program for his athletes to follow during their weight training class. There have been early morning workouts as well as after school workouts on days without the weight training class. Since Bowen is still employed as a teacher at Kearns High School, he is not around during most of the school day but arrives for the football team’s workouts.

Bowen’s primary objective for the 2017 season is to better his players, not only on the field, but as individuals. “I want them to be men of character, men of integrity, to show empathy towards others,” the coach states. “I want them to learn responsibility. And all of those things add up to being a better citizen and community member.”

He wants his players to grow and create a good image for Cottonwood football. “I want to teach them how to work, how to manage their time in a classroom and at practice and games. I want to be competitive on the field. Wins are great but wins aren’t the most important things for a High School sport.”