How did you get those scars? Appendicitis!

Me at the hospital right after my surgery.

author's mom

author's mom

Mazana Boerboom, Staff Writer

Hey everyone, I’m back! I’m not sure if you noticed my absence from the election assembly, but here is why I wasn’t there: Appendicitis! Appendicitis is an infection of the appendix- a tiny tube attached to the large intestine that does absolutely nothing for you, other than maybe developing an infection and trying to kill you. So, after my experience I have decided to inform you on the signs of appendicitis.

If caught early on it’s an easy fix, and luckily that was the case for me. If you get an awful stomach ache that doesn’t show any signs of going away, you might want to look for these signs: abdominal pain that starts in midsection and moves down to the right, abdominal swelling, gas pain, constipation or diarrhea, nausea and vomiting, loss of appetite, sharp pains that make it difficult to move, or make it painful to sneeze or cough, and a fever that may come after other symptoms. If the pain is persistent, and it hurts to even touch your stomach, it could very well be appendicitis.  

Public Domain
This is where the appendix is located.

The American Journal of Epidemiology reports that appendicitis is most prominently seen between the ages of 10-19, but it can affect anyone – unless they don’t have an appendix anymore. The online news outlet The Daily Mail says, about 7% of people will get appendicitis in their lifetime. Appendicitis can be caused by blockage to the appendix. It fills with bacteria and pus and other nasty stuff that causes the pressure to increase and if not treated properly it can rupture. Everyday Health explains that rupturing allows these nasty things to leak out into the rest of the abdominal area, and this can cause other infections such as septicemia. The danger of this is that in some people it causes more pain, and in others it lessens the pain. You may get other problems before any pain comes back.

Appendicitis is easily fixed with a simple surgery called an appendectomy. When I went through this surgery the doctors said they see a lot of appendectomy patients and know the procedure very well. It took less than an hour, and I was knocked out for the whole thing. Fortunately,  they perform lacerations which make the incisions tiny, so you don’t have to worry about long nasty scars. After the surgery there is some soreness that will last about a week, but this is much less painful than the appendicitis infection.

It’s important that if you are showing signs of appendicitis that you go to the hospital ASAP. The sooner you get the surgery over with, the less likely you are to rupture, which will make the recovery much faster and less painful.