2017 Hello Day Assembly

The Cheer Team taught the student body some of their cheer routines.

Joshua Parker

Colt Roundup Staff

This is a joint article written by the entire Colt Roundup staff.

On August 25, 2017, the Cottonwood Colts met in the auditorium for the annual Hello Day Assembly. Ms. Kitchen, a history teacher at Cottonwood, told Colt Roundup, “In the whole time I’ve been here, it was by far the best I’ve seen.”

Compared to previous years, students were more engaged and interested in the assembly. Ms. Kitchen believes it could be because the teachers sat among the students, or that the Student Body Officers were able to reach a broader audience.

This year’s new Communications Student Body Officer (SBO), Gracie Johnson, opened the assembly by explaining opportunities with Keys to Success, a program that rewards students who meet individual goals set with their teachers. Gracie told Colt Roundup that being in front of the whole school, “was definitely nerve racking because there are so many people at Cottonwood! But all in all, I was really excited to wear my funky red floral pants in front of the whole school and share my positivity.” After Gracie introduced herself to the school, student government adviser, Ms.Thomas, presented an excited group of new teachers who have joined the Colt staff this year.

After the new teachers made their exit, the 25 members of Dance Company took over the stage busting it out to  “Wanna be Startin’ Somethin’” by Michael Jackson. Shouts of “Will, Will, Will, Will!” could be heard from the audience as Senior Will Kemner danced front and center. Will told Colt Roundup that the best part of the dance was, “That piece, specifically, was more of a character piece, Michael Jackson, and it was fun to impersonate him and be as showy as possible.”

Cottonwood witnessed their new SBO’s in action for the first time this year in a video based off of the show “Survivor.” The video showed the SBO’s competing to find a prize, and it also included commercials and a surprise ending. Ms. Kitchen said her favorite part of the video was, “The commercial they did about the medication… I thought it was so clever. They were all dancing and happy just like in medication commercials and then everything they said was hilarious.” Historian SBO, Sydney Ollis, disclosed that her favorite part of the film was, “Definitely the chicken chase.” At the end of the video, the officers came on stage with a banner depicting the theme of the year: Bold and Gold. Sydney said they chose this theme because, “We had originally had this one from yearbook and we didn’t end up using it, but I still liked it… It was kind of catchy and short; it was fun.”

The Drill Team, decked out in bedazzled chokers and double french braids, came onto stage, took formation, and waited. And waited. They held their squats as stage crew attempted to start the music. The crowd cheered them on until they began dancing. The Chaparrals’ Coach, Erin Burke, explained that the girls “spent the last 3 weeks cleaning the routine to get it ready for the Hello Assembly… We love watching these girls perform and see their hard work pay off! We are very proud of them and are looking forward to a great competition season!”

After the Chaparrals left the stage, the student council members did a group dance to the songs “Low” by Flo Rida and “Party in the USA” by Miley Cyrus. After their act, they were met with enthusiastic cheers while they introduced themselves to their fellow Colts. Senior Boys ASC, Dwain Worrell, gave his account of the dance. “I really enjoyed it, even though I couldn’t move as well (referencing an injury sustained as part of the school’s football team).”

Three of the new teachers, Mr. See, the new ASL teacher; Mrs. Spencer, a new Biology teacher; and Mrs. Montiero, the new Freshman Academy teacher, came back on stage to show what they’re made of with a lip sync battle against three of the returning teachers: Ms. Gray, Ms. Merkley, and Mr. Perez. The new teachers performed to “I Will Survive” by Gloria Gaynor. It was a tough call against the returning teachers’ exhibition of “Wrecking Ball” by Miley Cyrus. The Colts decided the winners by cheering loudest for the the group of established teachers..

The cheer team stepped onstage and rallied the students to their feet to learn some cheers that are performed regularly at school events. They taught Chiga Chiga and C-O-L-T-S while encouraging students to show their school spirit and chant along. Sophomore Nikelle Julian told Colt Roundup, “We went to a camp over the summer where we learned the routine and we practiced it over the summer.” After teaching the students the cheers, the team broke out into a routine complete with stunts. Nikelle said, “I think the performance went pretty good, we were kind of fast but I think the crowd reacted pretty well.”

After the cheer team finished their routine, students were dismissed to go to their next class and filed out of the auditorium. Colt Roundup agrees with Ms. Kitchen when she explained, “I think everyone is doing great this year, I’m looking forward to the other assemblies because it was really awesome.”