All about Mrs. Swenson

All about Mrs. Swenson

Josh Parker

Josh Parker

Josh Parker

Kristen Tang, Staff Writer

Mrs. Swenson is a new math teacher for regular 10th grade math at Cottonwood High School. Colt Roundup was able to meet with her and ask her a few questions. She has been teaching for ten years at Mapleton Junior High. Swenson has always loved math. She even has a degree in statistics and in business. For awhile, she used those skills working in corporate settings. She never truly enjoyed working there. Eventually, she ended up quitting. After she quit, she started tutoring in her community. She loved tutoring. Several people suggested she look into teaching.

Her favorite thing about teaching is helping kids with their confidence in math. She wants to help them realize that they can understand math. Swenson told Colt Roundup, “I love seeing the light bulb go off. I love watching the kids go, ‘Oh, I get it now.’” She wants students to know that everyone is capable of doing math, if they are willing to try.

Swenson recently moved to Salt Lake City. She researched many different high schools and junior highs. The reviews she read and people she talked to told her that Cottonwood was the best place to teach. Everything at Cottonwood is very positive. She was very impressed by the principal and the math department. After her job interview she knew she needed to work at Cottonwood. She said, “It just felt right, it just felt so good in this school.”

Ms. Swenson is a great teacher and Cottonwood is glad to have her.