Become a Lifetime Humanitarian

Abigail+Garrard+and+three+kids+from+Cambodia+bonded+through+peace+signs.+
Abigail Garrard and three kids from Cambodia bonded through peace signs.

Provided by Abigail Garrard.

Provided by Abigail Garrard.

Mazana Boerboom, Section Editor

As the school year rolls into action, many students are looking for ways to serve their communities. Service is a sought after quality many colleges search for, and the feeling of helping others is hard to rival. Youthlinc, a non-profit service organization, is looking to recruit students to join their program in time for the next service year. Creating lifetime humanitarians is the mission this organization has set out to accomplish. They require 80 hours of service throughout the year and at least 40 with one organization. In June and July, teams of Youthlinc members are sent to third world countries including Cambodia, Peru, Madagascar, Kenya, Thailand, Nepal, Guatemala, and Fiji, for 2 weeks to help the native populations. Trips cost up to $4,000 dollars, but many students can earn financial aid or even fundraise all the money for the trips. Applications for this year are due October 4 and include a recommendation, a personal statement, and an optional financial aid form.

Cottonwood Senior Abigail Garrard was a part of Youthlinc’s last service year. She told Colt Roundup she joined because, “I like helping others; it’s one of my passions and I make it something that’s a necessity in my life.” Garrard completed her main 40 service hours through Real Life, a program fostered through Youthlinc at Cottonwood and other Utah schools. Real Life is a program that supports peer mentorship with immigrant and refugee students. Her other hours were completed through clubs and helping teachers. Many clubs at Cottonwood have an emphasis on service such as Backyard Broadcast, Service Club and National Honor Society.

When asked what advice she had for any students going into Youthlinc, she replied, “Try not to pay for it yourself; and don’t let it stress you out because it shouldn’t be a stressful thing, you’re helping people. It should be a good thing… make it something good to look forward to. Also, I would write a journal while you’re doing your local service.” She told Colt Roundup that she raised a lot of the money for her trip through financial aid and donations. She advised the use of social media and fundraising, such as bake sales, to raise money.

You can find happiness in the littlest things and even if you don’t have that much there’s always room to laugh and have fun.”

— Abigail Garrard

For her international trip, Garrard traveled to Cambodia because, “Cambodia has a unique past and history where they went through the Khmer Rouge [a communist group that led a mass genocide]. So, I felt that Cambodia would be more meaningful to me because I am actually helping people who have been struggling for the past 35 years.”  She described Cambodia as, “beautiful, it’s green with forests, there are a lot of dirt roads and it’s a third world country, so they don’t have much but… the people are so beautiful and they always smile.” Garrard fell in love with the people she met there claiming her favorite experience of Youthlinc was to be, “able to talk to kids without even knowing their language just through laughing and a lot of peace signs.”

Garrad learned a lot on her trip about Cambodia’s culture. She said one interesting thing she learned about were the Buddhist Monks of the area, “We learned about their beliefs and what they can and can’t do. They don’t buy anything, they get everything donated to them, they go around and ask for dinner and since they’re monks they are highly respected so people usually give them food and shelter.” However, the most important thing she said she learned was that, “You can find happiness in the littlest things and even if you don’t have that much there’s always room to laugh and have fun.”