Mr. Perez Interview

Mr. Perez Interview

Josh Parker

Josh Parker

Josh Parker

Lekaa Suhail, Staff Writer

Mr. Perez is a math and biology teacher for ESL students. He has been a teacher at Cottonwood for 8 years. Mr. Perez thought about many different schools to teach at, but he was assigned to Cottonwood based on his level of experience and because the number of ESL students at Cottonwood is much greater than at other schools. Mr. Perez likes to be friends with the students as well as their teacher. He believes if he becomes friends with his students he will be able to help them earn a good grade and pass his class.

Mr. Perez explained that when he has problems with his students, it’s mostly because they don’t like their grade.  He reminds them that they have to do the work to get a good grade. Some of the students start to not like their teacher because of the grade and they need to realize that the grade is because they are not doing their work.  Mr. Perez doesn’t like it when he watches a very good student with poor grades give up when things are hard. Each teacher can see a bright future in their students. For Mr. Perez, when he sees an open minded student making bad choices and lowering their grade, he tries to help that student find a new path where he or she can do better and not give up on what is really important, which is the student’s future.

Since Mr.Perez is an ESL teacher, people may wonder what advice he gives to those students who are coming into the United States just now and are trying to go to school and be successful. Mr.Perez said, “New ESL students should focus on making friends that speak a different language than they speak originally.” He explained that learning English is a very important skill that you will use throughout the rest of your life. Most of  the world speaks English, so you will be able to get around anywhere in the world as long as you know English.

Mr.Perez likes the diversity that is at Cottonwood.  There are so many religions and people from other countries that are just coming together to make one big school. Everyday a student will learn from somebody else. Making friends with people who speak another language will give each one of us the chance to learn a new language without having to go to a class forever. Mr. Perez also really likes the students and staff at Cottonwood. He believes that the administration is really nice and understanding of each student’s situation.

Mr. Perez said that that the thing he likes most about his job as a teacher is that he can make a difference for students and also build a good relationship with the students and their families. Outside of school, Mr.Perez has a pretty fun life. He likes to volunteer at his church, tutor students in need of help, and play soccer. Mr. Perez really likes soccer and he is a huge fan of Barcelona.

The last question Colt Roundup asked Mr.Perez was,  “How are your teaching practices different with each grade level?” He said, “With the freshman I am a little more strict because I still do not know them and I want them to take my class seriously. As for sophomores and juniors, I am a little more relaxed and not as strict just because now we have that relationship, although I am still a little strict about their grades so that they don’t drop. Lastly for my seniors, I’m not strict at all with them because I have known them for a while and we became friends. So by the time students become seniors I know their way of learning and they know my way of teaching, so most of them know what is expected of them in that year.”