Boku no Hero Academia Review

Fanart of one of the characters by Kristen Tang.

Klasina Allred

Klasina Allred

Klasina Allred, Staff Writer

Boku no Hero Academia, also known as My Hero Academia is one of many popular mangas. A manga is a Japanese comic book read from right to left and back to front. Everyone in this manga has a quirk, a superpower of sorts. That is, everyone except the main character Izuku Midoriya. Those with powerful quirks become heroes. The number one hero is All Might. Midoriya wants to be a hero, but without a quirk that is virtually impossible. However, when he meets All Might his life is changed. The story takes us through Midoriya and his fellow classmates’ journey to becoming heroes.

Kohei Horikoshi is the author of Boku no Hero Academia. He has written other manga series including Omagadoki Dobutsuen and Barrage. He is from Aiche Prefecture and has also graduated from the Nagoya University of Arts. Before writing his own books, he was the assistant of Yasuki Tanaka, creator and author of the manga series Hitomi no Catoblepas and Kagijin. As Horikoshi likes to write manga he also likes to read it, his favorites are Naruto, One Piece, Akira, Tekkonkinkreet, and Boys on the Run.

When I first started to read Boku no Hero Academia I was intrigued with the story. While most hero stories show everyone with powers getting them through an experience, this was the first story I’ve read where most characters are just born with powers. One of my favorite elements about the whole story in general is that no characters are half made. Each and every character has feelings and flaws, even a backstory of sorts. While most of the story revolves around Midoriya we don’t miss out on any vital character development for any of the characters. The best part of the story truly is the character dynamics.

Boku no Hero Academia was recommended to me by many people, and I highly recommend it to anyone looking for an excitement filled story. It can be read online, in book form, and even watched, as there is also an animated version. Online the story is released in chapters every week or so. Boku no Hero Academia transports you to another world. There is a plethora of characters with complex stories and backgrounds. Truly one of the best stories I’ve ever read.