New Team, New Season, New year

New Team, New Season, New year

Josh Parker

Josh Parker

Josh Parker

Anthony Hernandez, Staff writer

Cottonwood High School hosts one of the most popular and coolest sports ever, track and field. Track and field is a sport where athletes perform events such as long and mid-distance sprints, high jumps, long jumps and throwing. The long distance races can go up to 2 miles or 8 laps around an average  track. Mid-distance focuses on 400 meters (1 lap around) and 800 meters (2 laps around). Sprinters run the 100 and 200 meter races. High jumpers leap over a horizontal bar placed at measured heights without touching it. Long jumpers combine speed, strength and agility in an attempt to leap as far as possible from a take off point to make it to their target in order to score. Throwers partake in the  shot put, the discus, the javelin, and the hammer.

Coach Baker held a meeting for students who are interested in running track and field on November 2nd, 2017. Many new students came and signed up. Coaches Baker, Bagley, Daney and the track team’s new coach Zach Foulger introduced themselves and explained expectations. Baker, a biology teacher at Cottonwood, is coaching students who plan to do long distance or mid-distance running. Bagley, a weight training teacher for CHS, is coaching kids who want to sprint. Daney is coaching high jumping. And lastly, the new coach, Zach, is the throwing coach. During the meeting some kids were a little nervous, but after the meeting, new students, like Sophomore Andy Huynh, said, “I am ready to do this.” 

Practice for winter training began November 6th. Practices are Monday, Tuesday and Thursday. Baker explained that for the winter training season, “We’re going to keep it real easy, and we’re going to do a lot of weight lifting. And starting in December we’ll start our base mileage. So we’re going to be focusing on a lot of mileage – get some mile repeats in there. And then starting in mid-January about 6 weeks in, we start our pre-season stuff, keep up the mileage, but we’re going to pick up the speed and make sure the kids are healthy. And by March we are going to be full competition mode.”

The first day of track practice was really good. There are a lot of kids on the track team right now. Everyone got along so well, newcomers like the Andy Huynh looked very confident and ready.  After practice they were all sore and tired. But when the season of track and field begins between late February and early March, the track team will be ready to destroy the other schools. So if you want to join go see Coach Baker for more information.