Fenty vs. Kylie

Kylie's Auburn Palette.

Kylie's Auburn Palette.

Anthony Carlisle

Anthony Carlisle

Kylie's Auburn Palette.

Anthony Carlisle, Staff Writer

Fenty is a makeup brand founded by Robyn Rihanna Fenty in the summer of 2017. Launching with over 40 shades of foundation, highlighter, brushes, blotting supplies, and conceal/contour products, the company is considered particularly high end for the industry.  According to the Fenty website, “The overall goal for Fenty was to ‘fill the void’ in the makeup industry by reaching all skin tones/types, making it so women everywhere were included.” 

Kylie Cosmetics was started in 2016, launching with the viral and successful lip kit which included a liquid lipstick and liner. After which, Kylie worked with the company on making more for the brand and coming out with the first ever palette for the company- the Bronze Palette.  This created a sultry palette which included tones of browns, oranges, and black. The goal for Kylie Cosmetics was to create the perfect “Kylie look.”  Owner Kylie Jenner said, “I want to make everyone beautiful.”

On October 13th, Fenty launched the galaxy collection which included the brand’s first ever palette and also included, four glosses: Gal on the moon, Spacesuit, Plutonic Relationship, and Astro Naughty; four lipsticks: Gravity, Supermoon, Sci-Fly and $upanova; three eyeliners: Later Crater, Nepturnt and  Alien Bae.  They also created a custom 2-way eyeshadow brush for the collection. The collection supported a holographic themed packaging and the makeup was space-esque, rainbow and sci-fi glitter themed.

On October 6th, Kylie dropped their own collection for the fall holiday and it dropped with a bundle containing 5 fall colored matte lip kits(Autumn, Butternut, Hazel, Libra, Wicked), 4 Ultra-glow highlighters( Wisteria, Fiji, Santorini, Tahiti), and the Purple Palette.  This collection supported a purple fall theme and some ‘peachy’ warm colors to their liquid lipsticks. The overall theme was a moody dark black packaging and mauve coloring, while retaining the classic Kylie look with pink toned lipsticks and highlighters.

Personally comparing one gloss and  highlighter from each brand, I found some interesting key components. I started with Gloss Bomb vs. Cupid. Though the glosses are similar in wear, the Gloss Bomb was way thinner in texture than Cupid. Where as Cupid was kind of like a light syrup, not totally a problem, however it just comes down to personal preference. The highlighters are very different from each other. Next I tested Killawatt Trophy Wife vs. Banana Split Kylighter.  Firstly, in comparison the Kylighter doesn’t apply much color unless you pack it on, to where the Fenty highlighter is more bold to application, possibly due to the Kylighter’s slighlty more pale coloring or ingredients. The Fenty highlighter hits you in the face with a beam of light where as the Kylighter is there to put glitter on your cheek to put it into perspective.

Overall both of the brands’ products differ from person to person depending on how bold and dramatic you like your makeup. Fenty= BOLD and creative, Kylie= Girl’s night out glam. I personally enjoy both brands and see a possibility for them to coexist. There’s no point in warring two completely different brands with different goals and there’s space for both of them because everyone likes different things, so let’s accept both!