Buca Di Beppo: The Comfort Food Palace

Mazana Boerboom was ecstatic after her birthday meal at Buca Di Beppo.

Sydney Bishop

Mazana Boerboom, Section Editor

Buca Di Beppo is an Italian family style chain restaurant located on Fort Union Boulevard. The restaurant’s inside is like a maze of fancy statues, wacky art and abundant colors. There are several different dining rooms, some with smaller tables and some with one large table that could fit an entire family. Buca Di Beppo is fun and welcoming, and has customers leaving with a smile.

The meals at Buca Di Beppo could feed a giant with a great taste in food. There are cheeses, tomatoes and carbs in everything. It’s a comfort food palace. Every table gets a  refillable basket of different breads with oil and vinegar to dunk them in. Beverages include everything from water to your basic soft drinks to delicious Italian sodas- Sprite with a choice of flavoring, half-and-half and whipped cream on top. Appetizers feature spicy shrimp, melt-in-your-mouth fried mozzarella, fried calamari, and several other delicious options that will make you stuffed before your entree even comes out. Speaking of which, the entrees are even bigger and even better than the appetizers. Options include, but are certainly not limited to stuffed pastas, spaghetti, salads, chicken, shrimp, eggplant – all prepared in different and delicious ways. The entrees come in big enough sizes for a whole party to try several different options.

Of course, it doesn’t end at the entree; everyone must make room for dessert. The dessert options include several different cake choices, from cheesecake to chocolate to lemon. There is also a giant sundae with 6 scoops of ice cream topped with a mountain of whipped cream and chocolate sauce. Obviously there’s tiramisu, and they have added new delicious gelato cones, which come with a choice of raspberry or pistachio. Nobody leaves Buca Di Beppo without stuffing themselves as full as they can manage, and then some.

The service was also exceptional. The waiters are attentive, without being annoying and are full of happy energy. They managed to deal with my family’s constant decision changes, and our waitress went back three different times to make Italian sodas. She answered all our questions expertly and didn’t mess up the order once. They even have a choreographed dance and song for birthdays, with a candelabra to blow out. The whole experience is fun and whimsy.

Buca Di Beppo’s interior can be described as nothing less than a holy mess. It’s crazy and fun and overflowing with so much art, photographs, statues, stringed lights and fake grape vines; your eyes don’t know where to go. While the walls are cluttered, the restaurant is not gross, in fact it is quite clean. The clutter gives it attitude, and a fun atmosphere that encompasses the Italian energy. Even the restrooms are full of funny signs and abundant colors. Their largest table, the round table, has a centerpiece of a smiling Pope head. The whole restaurant is welcoming, fun and delicious. If you aren’t afraid of being watched by the Pope while you eat, this is the choice for you.