The Sun And Her Flowers

Daniela Carrasco, Staff Writer

Rupi Kaur, the author of Milk And Honey, came out with a second book called The Sun And Her Flowers. This had her readers very excited when she announced that she was releasing another book. Rupi Kaur writes poetry books that are so raw and never fail to bring many into tears. She divided her new book into 5 chapters: Wilting, Falling, Rooting, Rising and Blooming. Not many writers can evoke the range of emotions that Rupi provides. You can feel the pain of what she went through and the smell the flowers of her mother’s garden.

This book is a journey of love and healing. With illustrations she made herself, the reader gains multiple perspectives on the poems. This book is more for older people, as some of her work can be very detailed. Even you’re not the reading type, this book could still move you because of her wording. Rupi Kaur never fails to amaze me with her work; her poems have so much meaning. Some of her poems are my personal favorites, and I can relate to them on a very personal level.  

Most of us have most likely gone through something that she has written a poem about. We can ether accept it and write about it or carry it on. If you are going through a hard time, I would recommend this book to help you see that you’re not the only one who can feel the way you feel.

When I was going through some rough times this book helped me more than I would ever expect. You can ether purchase this book online or at bookstores near you.  

To get a taste of what kind of poetry she writes here are some phrases from her poems (capitalization is Kaur’s), “i stuffed a towel at the foot of every door/ leave i told the air/ i have no use for you/ i drew every curtain in the house/ go i told the light no one is coming in and no one is going out – cemetery.” “Borders are man-made/ they only divide us physically don’t let them make us turn on each other – we are not enemies.” “I even tried to bury myself alive but the dirt recoiled/ you have already rotted it said there is nothing left for me to do.”