Plans After High School

Maya Kimmel, Staff Writer

Have you thought about what you plan to do after high school? Do you know what college you want to go to or if you are deciding to go to college at all? At this time of  year, many seniors are planning for their future. They sent out college applications and are waiting to see if they have been accepted. Some may not get into the college that they want but others will. Every senior has a different path to take. Applications for most colleges were due by December 1, 2017. Lots of high school students have already opened an acceptance or rejection letter by now. 

Senior Izzy Pearson says, “ I can’t wait to go to college! I am planning on going to Dixie State University, where it is nice and warm.” Each high school student is different. The first step on plans after high school is to graduate. A high school diploma is likely to be the first prerequisite for many major opportunities in your adult life. “Statistics compiled by the U.S. Department of Education suggest that individuals who complete high school in four years are less likely to be unemployed.” So when students graduate with their diploma, they already have more job opportunities.

The second step is to think about college.  Senior Erika Ramirez states “I’m planning on going college to become a lawyer for my boyfriend’s brand.” College application week was the second week of November. Students across the country applied to the college they thought was best for them. As you may already know, you can apply to any university you want, and to as many universities as you want. In the United States, unlike many countries, there is not a centralized admissions process. This can be both a good and bad thing. The U.S Departments of Education states, “Most U.S. college admissions committees believe that students need to do well academically as well as participate in extracurricular activities. Even if a student is a chemistry major, he or she will still need to take classes in subjects like history and sociology.” So when applying to college, think about the things that colleges look for, rather than good grades.

The third step is getting accepted. Teens need to be ready for college. Once they are accepted they need to think about other things, like if they are going to live on campus or at home. Also, they need to think about how to pay for college. Students may have scholarships or might need to get a job so they can pay out of their pocket. In any case, having a plan to pay for college could be very helpful. For example, The University of Utah’s tuition and fees are about $7,956. Then add an additional room and board fee which is $10,566. So overall it will cost about $18,522 for the average college student who lives on campus. It is also a good idea to sign up for student loans. A student loan is money owed on a loan taken out to pay for educational expenses. 

When teens graduate high school, it’s good to have some type of plan rather than no plan at all. Statistics from the U.S. Department of Education show that a college student with a degree is more likely to get a job compared to a high school graduate who  has a diploma. Going to college after high school can create many opportunities, such as a higher paid job or a more advanced position because of that class you took in college. Students will learn how to become an adult, pay bills, and learn how to pay rent.. Many positive experiences can come out of college, so make sure to have a plan and go!