Colts are Servers

Mazana Boerboom, Section Editor

Whether through tutoring, handing out water to runners, championing the abolition of sex trafficking, or raising money for a good cause, many Cottonwood High students have taken Mahatma Gandhi’s words,“The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others,” to heart. This year the whole school worked to raise money for a little girl with a heart defect. Yet, even though the holiday season has come to an end, chances to serve don’t. Within our own school there are several clubs with a focus on service: Backyard Broadcast, Service Club, NHS and SCA. Even for those who can’t join these clubs, there are ways to help others; for instance Hiking Club does a monthly service activity. Programs, such as Real Life and Big Brothers Big Sisters, are constantly looking for student mentors. The food pantry always needs donations. The opportunities are there for those willing to seek them out.

The holiday season brought many students together through service. The spirit of giving permeated the air as the winter charity took over the school. On Friday, December 1, student government worked with Make a Wish Foundation, the Beauty and the Beast cast, Dance Company, Title IX (male drill team), an acapella group, the Polynesian club, and the whole school to make young Adelyn feel special. Adelyn, age 4, was born with a heart defect and has had open heart surgery several times. The first, only hours after her birth, and the most recent on November 15, 2017. After coming out of surgery, she told her mom she had to get better so she could get her wish. This wish is to go to Disneyland to meet Princess Belle. They raised $2,000 alone at the assembly, and reached their goal of $10,000 by the end of the month. Senior Gracie Johnson, Communications SBO, told Colt Roundup that student government has plans for an extended lunch, ice cream party and the stomp promised. They even went through with dying/perming their hair. Johnson went on to exclaim how proud student government was that the school reached its goal saying, “Originally we wanted to set the goal at $7,000 because we made $6,000 last year. A lot of people in student government were saying ‘Oh we should only do $7,000,’ but I remember me and Grant we were like ‘$10,000, if we make it high then we’re gonna get it a lot higher’ and we totally reached our $10,000 goal and we are really shocked.” The extra money raised went to Make a Wish so they could fulfill the wish of another child.

I love making the personal connection with people.”

— Gracie Johnson

The whole school is proud of the accomplishment, and the good feelings of service are abundant. NHS students continue to tutor and serve in the community, the food pantry opens its doors every Tuesday and Friday, and Real Life meets every week to make a difference in the lives’ of many students at the school. Real Life is an after school program at the school that teaches skills to immigrant and refugee students and provides a fun interactive environment for both mentors and mentees. Real Life was started by Youthlinc, an organization in Utah that encourages students to become humanitarians and serve both in their communities and in the world abroad.

The feelings that service creates are like none other. Senior Sydney Bishop, member of Youthlinc, stated,“Service is an important part of our society and fundamental to human well-being. I think that in modern society it is important to help those who are less fortunate and it’s kind of your responsibility to be nice to people and help them.” She is excited to start volunteering on the weekends with the National Ability Center. Gracie Johnson says she has been a part of volunteering with NHS and Real Life. She proclaimed, “I love making the personal connection with people. There are some people I tutor who I would not have met besides that, and I am able to help them understand something they probably don’t understand, and in Real Life we help teach them social skills and then we’re just friends with them after that. It’s really cool getting to know people and making them feel like they have a friend.” She also loves volunteering at Color Runs handing out water to thirsty runners and doing service activities every month with Hiking Club.

Cottonwood is full of opportunities to get to know people, make connections, and improve the lives of others and of one’s self. Look for opportunities to help others out, whether its opening a door, volunteering with Real Life, or making a new friend.