Benefits of Gaming

Benefits of Gaming

A few controllers out of the thousands used to play video games.

Klasina Allred

Klasina Allred

Klasina Allred

Klasina Allred, Staff Writer

These days video games are played all over the world with millions playing at any given time. While most know of the disadvantages, there are many benefits people don’t know about.

Spending too much playing games is bad for you; this is common knowledge. However, when games are played in moderation, certain advantages are apparent. Many different websites say that about one hour a day is the best. While longer sessions were also studied, nothing was found to prove that there were more advantages if someone plays for over an hour.

According to the Kaiser Family Foundation, “92% of children and adolescents ages 2 – 17 play video games.” In their research, they also saw that the amount of time spent on entertainment media was on average 7 hours and 38 minutes. This could mean an assortment of different things. Entertainment media is any media created for the purpose of entertainment of any kind. This includes gaming.

Gaming is something that young children and adults do. Most people assume that a gamer is someone who plays alone, is unhealthy, and many other unrealistic attributes. This stereotype is inaccurate as more than “70 percent of gamers play with a friend, and millions of people world wide participate in massive virtual worlds” as stated by the American Psychological Association (APA). APA had found that playing video games could also help build certain cognitive skills. Those skills could be spatial navigation, reasoning, memory, and even perception. Along with these skills, gaming led to emotional resilience, better moods and relaxation that could lead to lower anxiety levels.

These are not the only benefits of gaming. The Palo Alto Medical Foundation had found even more benefits. Children who play games are likely to show “empathy and helpfulness in their daily lives.” And if that’s not enough, the Palo Alto Medical Foundation says, “video games may help improve their manual dexterity and computer literacy,” which are both necessary to succeed in computer classes or even basic tasks like typing.

Students here at Cottonwood also play games. Cameron Walsh, a sophomore, was interviewed on the topic. As stated above, one hour is best for game play time. Colt Roundup asked him if he thought people should follow those guidelines. He first said, “Some people have nothing else to do,” then he added, “It’s based on one person.” Cameron did say that he played video games often if not daily. The main benefit he gained from playing games was that it was good for getting anger out. Additionally, he told Colt Roundup that you could get a “social gain from people you haven’t met.”

Those of us who can play games are able to reap the benefits with only one hour of play a day.