Training Time

Track field covered in snow but slowly melting away

Anthony Hernandez

Anthony Hernandez, Staff Writer

So far training for Cottonwood’s track and field team is fantastic. It’s been 3 months since winter training started on November 2nd, 2017, and so far the track team is looking very good for this upcoming season. They are working really hard and training to be the best to win region and state for track and field. They have worked so hard to get their running forms, endurance, speed, and strength to the point where they are unstoppable and no one can beat them. Cottonwood’s top distance runner Jacob Nielsen said, “Training is pretty good, it’s a lot of work and a lot of fun. We do a lot of running, a lot of fast running, a lot of normal running. We do some weight lifting and we work on our abs and stuff.”

Pre-season training for track is going well so far. There has been crazy weather, like lots of rain and snow. No matter what weather occurs, it won’t stop the team from practicing. One of their pre-season races was at the Olympic Oval. This was the Utah Distance Challenge where athletes are either long distance or mid-distance. Athletes compete in the 400, 800, 1600 or 3200 meter races. The meet started at 4:30 pm and continued until 11:00 pm. Long/Mid distance did really well. For the boy’s long distance, Jacob Nielsen ran a 4:35 in the mile. Girl’s Long distance runner Megan Myers ran a 5:34 in the mile. Mid-distance boy’s runner Jayden Orbezua Black ran a 2:06 in the 800 meter. And for girl’s Mid-distance, Juliana Banks ran a 2:41 in the 800 meter race. Overall, they did fantastic in their races.

February 28th, 2018 was initiation day and the track team finally made a circle and huddled up and they leaned on each other’s shoulders while lifting one leg because “when one falls we lift them up,” coach Baker said. Then they did their first team cheer which was loud and proud and that’s the day the Colts became a team. There are 80 kids on the team, and they all look healthy and ready for their first official track meet that will be held on March 14th, 2018. According to Baker the plans for this season are “… to keep the mileage up still, maybe not as much as during the pre-season. But, by little by little as we get closer and closer to the end, like a week or 2 before region, that’s when we are going to start hitting a lot more speed base stuff and working on their lactic threshold.”

The track team looks very good and very confident. Indeed they are ready to win region and state for 2018 track and field season.