Distance Learning Shifts Back to Face to Face Classes

Allysa Marie Fernandez Totanes

Ahmed Wardere, Suheib Ahmed, Yahya Dabbach, Back to in-person learning as they study together in the library

Allysa Marie Fernandez Totanes, Reporter

Distance learning students return to face to face instruction.

Last school year, one-third of CHS’s population were distance learners according to attendance secretary, Jacqueline Rosvall, who said, “The numbers ranged pretty steady around 638 and dropped during 4th quarter to about 618.”

There were monthly requests and approvals for switching learning format; the only noticeable collective change of switching from distance learning to face-to-face learning was during the school year’s last quarter, according to Rosvall.

“Very few distance learners called the school with concerns,” said Rosvall. “Rather, the school was reaching out to them regarding concerns they were seeing with failing grades or not turning in assignments etc. Teachers were calling and emailing students and parents, we had trackers going in the community and interacting with kids and their parents in the home in an attempt to reduce barriers that were getting in their way of participating in their education and turning in work assigned.”Distance learners shared some opinions, but also differed regarding their transition from distance learning to in-person learning.

Chloe Scheve, 12th grader, who was a full time distance learner her junior year said, “Because I’m so accustomed to working by myself due to distance learning my entire junior year, I’m expecting that my anxiety may increase quite a bit due to group projects and class discussions. I’ll have to relearn how to collaborate with others in the most efficient way.”   

“No motivation to do anything, sleeping in, and forgetting assignments given everyday were some of the challenges I had while doing online,” said junior student Ashley Favero—who was also a distance learner, “I am doing in-person learning this year! I’m very excited about it and I think it’ll be good.”

Scheve and Favero favored in-person learning when asked which option they’d prefer for this current school year. Experiencing the motivation from a public setting and being surrounded by fellow students were their reasons for choosing to tackle a school year… mid-pandemic… alone.

“Although I enjoyed distance learning and having the opportunity to work at my own pace, I would choose to attend in person school; mainly because of the social aspect and the increased support from my teachers when I’m physically in their classroom,” said Scheve.

“This school year, definitely in person learning; you can ask questions when you need to and you get motivation from teachers,” said Favero.

The school has a protocol in place in case COVID outbreaks do occur. “If a student is not vaccinated—if they are having symptoms it is always best for the parent to keep them home and get them tested.  If they are positive, they will notify the school as will the Health Dept.” said Rosvall.