Midnight Sun: A Look at the Stars

Thorne%2C+Schwarzenegger+and+Speer+happily+squeeze+in+for+a+picture+with+several+high+school+journalists.+

Midnight Sun: A Look at the Stars

Thorne, Schwarzenegger and Speer happily squeeze in for a picture with several high school journalists.

Kim Truong

Kim Truong

Kim Truong

Mazana Boerboom, Section Editor

The stars of the movie Midnight Sun, Bella Thorne and Patrick Schwarzenegger, and the director, Scott Speer, came to Salt Lake to premiere their movie before the March 23rd. They held a meet and greet at Fashion Place Mall with the help of Mix 105.1, a local radio station, who was there to pump fans up to meet the Hollywood stars. When Thorne and Schwarzenegger showed up, there was a huge line waiting to greet them. They took their time to hug each fan and exchange a few words before taking a picture and giving them a signed movie poster. One girl waiting in line, Jayden, told Colt Roundup she is a fan of Thorne and said, “I follow her on Snapchat…, I think it would be cool to hang out with her.”

The movie targets Middle and High School students who enjoy a teen romance story. It follows 17 year old Katie Price (Thorne), a girl with a rare genetic disease, called Xeroderma Pigmentosum or XP, that makes her life-threateningly sensitive to the UV rays emitted by the sun. She has secretly been in love with Charlie (Schwarzenegger) since they were young, but was forced to only watch him from her window as she was confined to her house during the day. One night, she plays music at a train station and Charlie approaches her, beginning their love story.

The stars happily spoke to Colt Roundup about the movie. All three were laid back, comfortable, and joking with each other. They became close while in Vancouver shooting the film. They said they spent a lot of time together off set. The co-stars watched movies, biked along the harbor, explored for the best brunch locations, and “threw food at Patrick.” According to Thorne, she got along with Schwarzenegger through a love of food.

Despite the fun they had together and the jokes that were easily exchanged, they took the movie seriously. Schwarzenegger found Speer to be very helpful in guiding him through his first leading role. Speer took the time to help the actors feel each moment as authentically as possible. In a particularly emotional scene for Charlie (Schwarzenegger’s character), Speer took the time to make him feel the emotion for real. Schwarzenegger found this particularly helpful saying, “…it was kind of a testimony to him as a director, and the ways he kind of goes above and beyond to help someone, that was in their first time as a leading role, find ways to just help me bring out a performance.”

Live a little like Katie does, don’t take things for granted: be there, be present, be here right now.”

— Bella Thorne

Thorne also expressed her thanks for Speer’s support. Her character, Katie, had a passion for music, which Thorne herself did not share at the beginning of the movie. She confessed her original discomfort with music saying, “I just really didn’t like singing at the time, and just had such a negative experience with it from before and I was like, ‘I’m just terrible. I’m absolutely horrendous. You’re not going to want to use the song in the movie. It’s going to be gross.’ and it came out of the studio and Scott was like, ‘You’re a liar you can sing.’” Her interest in singing was revived through the experience. Thorne proclaimed, “…and now this has brought me back to music and performing and record labels. You name it. Doin’ it with the music!”

Thorne has a lot in store for her future career, including a record label launching. She has several more movies coming out this year, a book, more television shows, tours, and even another movie airing that she also filmed with Speer, called I Still See You. One important project to Thorne is her organization devoted to helping abused teens. Thorne said that many of these teens, “are in these situations, and they feel so lonely like they have nowhere to go, and there is a place to go and that will be us.”

The actors and director all feel that the movie is a great watch for high school students. Speer told Colt Roundup, “We are all young people and we wanted to make a movie for young people.” They all felt like the movie held a deeper meaning that could strengthen relationships. Schwarzenegger said he felt that, “If you left and felt that you could be a better person towards people in your lives or appreciate relationships more-so and try to be a better person in relationships, that’s an amazing way to leave.” Thorne agreed and added that she thinks everyone should see it because,“It’s fun!” And she couldn’t help but adding, “You should see it because Patrick is extremely good looking, he’s really nice to stare at on a 50 foot wide screen.” Speer ended the interview by stating,”I think great movies are about reminding us that we are much more alike than we are different, so hopefully the movie can draw people closer together.”