Alkaline vs. Acidic?

Alkaline vs. Acidic?

Anthony Carlisle, Staff Writer

In case you haven’t heard, there are tons of Facebook videos of people testing the acidity of different brands of water; however, not all those videos describe why this subject is pretty important, and the effects (good or bad) that some waters can have on the body.

Determining the acidity vs alkalinity of water is based on the PH scale that ranges from 1-14. 1-6 is considered acidic (Red-Yellow), 7 Neutral(Green), and 8-14 is alkaline(Blue-Purple).  

Now first of all, the effects of acidic water will not kill you or damage you in a detrimental way; however, it can affect the body in a negative way. Just by changing your bottled water of choice, you may see small improvements to your mood and activity.  According to Apec Water’s website, it’s recommended that acidic water is avoided, simply because of the metals that it contains, including mercury and lead. Now they’re obviously in very low doses, so depending on the metal content it shouldn’t prove to be too much of a liability, but acidic water also tastes like you’re sucking on a metal pipe, and that is nasty.     

On the flip side, a study done by the Shanghai Journal of Protective Medicine showed that alkaline water contains metals such as calcium and iron that your body needs. They have also claimed that alkaline water has been shown to lower cholesterol, blood glucose, and blood pressure, when consumed compared to acidic water. Alkaline water reportedly can help reduce symptoms of acid reflux and helps colon health when consumed above the PH level of 7.

Now there are a lot of brands to look out for. Most of the very popular brands of water are actually acidic. Brands like Dasani (4.5), Propel(3.5-3.6), and Vitamin Water(3.4), are very acidic with PH levels of around 3-4.5. To find a more alkaline water, you need to go with brands such as Evian (7), Fiji water (7.5), and Essentia (9).

You can obviously drink what water you want; however, just knowing what you put in your body can help improve health. Interestingly, even the EPA considers bottled water “inferior” to tap water. Side note, the EPA says tap water should be at least higher than a 6.5, so tap water is not always a bad choice!

Stay hydrated my friends!