Medical Marijuana

Maya Kimmel, Staff Writer

Medical Marijuana, if used properly and not abused, can have positive effects for people with chronic pain, seizures, eating disorders, anxiety, and depression. Marijuana has also shown that it stops the growth of cancer cells. Many states have banned medical marijuana because of how people can abuse the substance. However, medical marijuana is helpful in many ways.

People who are diagnosed with chronic pain, seizures, and eating disorders, are considered candidates for a medical marijuana prescription. Pain management is the main reason people ask for a prescription. If you live in a state where medical marijuana is legal, and your doctor thinks it is best for you, you will get something called a “Marijuana Card.” After you get your card, you will be put on a list where it allows you to buy marijuana from an authorized seller. These sellers are called “dispensaries.” Some doctors may also be able to prescribe marijuana.

Marijuana can help symptoms of cancer. A number of small studies have shown that smoking marijuana can help nausea and vomiting from cancer chemotherapy. More recently, scientists reported that THC and other cannabinoids (any of a group of closely related compounds which include cannabinol and the active constituents of cannabis) slow growth and/or cause death in certain types of cancer cells growing in lab dishes. Some animal studies also suggest certain cannabinoids may slow growth and reduce the spread of some forms of cancer.

Many states have not made medical marijuana legal. There are 29 medical marijuana states and D.C. and 9 legal recreational marijuana states and D.C. That leaves 21 states that have not legalized the drug. Research has shown that some people who live in states that do not have the drug legalized, have moved to a state that does have the drug legalized.

For the people who are in chronic pain everyday, this drug may be necessary for them. There are more and more people everyday suffering from an illness that they can’t help. Illnesses are different for everyone, and sometimes there is no medication that can truly help them. Nobody wants to see their loved ones in pain. If medical marijuana is an option for the patient, they should have access. It’s important for patients to view this like any other medication rather than using it as a recreational drug.  Anyone can abuse a medication and suffer negative effects.