Cheer Tryouts

cheer tryout information!

cheer tryout information!

cheer tryout information!

Maya Kimmel, Staff Writer

The 2018-2019 Cottonwood cheer tryouts are coming up! Cheer tryouts are April 11th and April 12th. On the 11th of April, candidates will be taught a dance and a cheer to perform on the next day’s tryouts. As you come to tryouts, you will receive your number and be put into a group number wise. As you read on, here is some advice on how to tryout and what to expect!

Make an informed decision.

Before you commit to tryouts, think critically about whether you have the time/passion to devote to the team. I would also recommend to think about this financially. Cheer is not cheap, so I would plan ahead in getting a summer time job, or maybe even think about fundraising. The team does fundraise as whole, but I would recommend that you do something on the side as well.

Start sooner rather than later.

As soon as you commit to trying out, begin brushing up on your skills and practicing with others. By procrastinating, you only cheat yourself out of precious prep time. The coaches love to see tumbling. We are an intermediate division, which means standing back handsprings, round off back handspring back tuck, and other skills will give you more points on your tryout sheet which will give you a higher chance of making the team.

Ask questions.

Do not be afraid to ask questions! The seniors and coaches are there to help you. Remember that cheerleaders are not shy! Figure out what forms/waivers you need to complete in advance. Make sure you know the wardrobe requirements, and what the tryout itself entails. There’s no such thing as a silly question!

Focus on physique.

Cheerleading requires a lot from our bodies. Make sure yours is up for the challenge. This means maintaining a balanced diet, getting adequate sleep, and exercising regularly.

Practice to the max.

When you’re practicing on your own, it can be tempting to simply mark through routines. But, practicing the moves full out will make the routine feel more natural at your tryout. Plus, the more you practice, the more you can focus on details like sharpness and body positioning.

Attitude is everything.

Coaches often keep an eye out for attitude even at tryout clinics. Smile, encourage others, and thank anyone who helps you out. You’ll stand out as someone who works well with others.

I wish all the girls/guys who are trying out good luck! Don’t be nervous and remember to have fun.