Walk for Your Life

Addie Wallace, Section Editor

On the 14th of March, schools in every state participated in a national walkout at 10 AM across different time zones. It lasted 17 minutes for the 17 students who were killed in the Parkland, Florida shooting earlier this year. Students all over united to get their message out: this should not happen again. Many students at Cottonwood High School and the attached charter school, AMES, took a stand with the rest of the nation, carrying 17 signs for the 17 deaths of Parkland.

any student that wanted to show respect and honor for all of those victims could leave class”

— Mrs. Roylance

The walkout prompted many popular figures to post on social media. Ellen DeGeneres posted a picture that simply stated, “We support you.” Kendall Jenner, Zendaya, Katy Perry, Chris Evans, and many more were also posting in support of all the participants of the walkout. One teacher, Bryce Tache, from Minneapolis tweeted, “I really wasn’t prepared to cry during my lunch break today but seeing our kids stand up & speak out like this has filled me with sorrow how much we’ve failed them while giving me extraordinary hope that we will make things better. We will.”  There was a large number of teachers who also supported the walkout and only a small few who didn’t. Mrs. Roylance told Colt Roundup that she told the teachers that “any student that wanted to show respect and honor for all of those victims could leave class.”

Cottonwood High School student JanaRae Womack participated in the walkout, telling Colt Roundup she did it because she wanted her voice to be heard. Another student, Megan Myres, stated that she didn’t participate but felt that “it was great that everyone was supporting the cause.” Womack expressed that the most memorable moment of the walkout was when “it began to rain and I thought of it as the sky crying with us.” Sophomore, Josh Ball also described his most memorable moment to be when they “had a lady drive past multiple times. She videoed and joined in.” The Colt Roundup staff also asked Ball about his thoughts on gun control. He declared, “Gun control should be strict. No matter who you are or where you come from.” Both Womack and Myres agreed with him in believing that gun control should be more strict. When asked if he thought the goal of the walkout had been achieved, Ball replied with, “I think we can’t achieve a goal until Congress does something. We still have a lot of work ahead of us. It really opened up my eyes about the real problem. Guns don’t kill people. People kill people.”

The goal for this walkout was to raise awareness for gun control and to have a moment of silence for the students who had lost their lives to a school shooting. Did the national walkout raise enough awareness to finally change things? According to a New York Times article, some states have raised the age limit to buy guns and extended the wait limit to more than a couple of days, but on a national level nothing much has changed. “This week, President Trump abandoned gun control proposals that the Republican-led Congress had never even inched toward supporting,” said a New York Times article in relation to gun control laws possibly being changed. Thousands of students all over the nation walked out to get these laws to change, and they won’t stop until they have. Protests will continue and more have been planned for March 24 and April 20, the anniversary of the Columbine shooting. Students all over made statements such as,”Fix This Before I Text My Mom from Under A Desk,” to urge their representatives to make a change, but will it be enough to end mass shootings?