Underclassmen Ready To Lead Team

Tomas D'Anella, Editor-in-Chief

The reigning 5A baseball state champs came into the 2018 season with high hopes and higher expectations. The Colts had 4 regular starters move on to college baseball and many more graduate.

This year’s senior class won’t be as deep, leaving catcher, Caleb Manuel, and outfielders, Cameron Perkins and Riley Sayer, as the team’s only seniors. The seniors have been put in place as leaders of the team. Head Coach, Jason Crawford commented, “Our seniors have done a good job leading in their own ways.”

Crawford further comments that the team this year won’t be leaning on seniors as heavily as the 2017 roster. “We’re junior heavy. We knew going into the season that our juniors would have to preform and they have. We’re off to a good start.”

“Junior heavy” may not do the Colts roster justice. Ten of the 15 varsity Colts are only in their third year of high school.  The underclassmen are definitely making their marks on the stat sheet.

Junior University of Utah commit, Porter Hodge, is dominating on the mound, sporting a 0.94 Earned Run Average  in 29.2 innings and 37 strikeouts. Hodge is also producing at the plate, batting .382 with 12 Runs Batted In his 13 games.

Junior Dylan Reiser is close to matching Hodge in production. He has a 1.46 ERA through 24 innings, leading to a 4-0 record. At the dish, he’s also provided a .429 batting average and another 9 RBI’s.

A sophomore first baseman is also making his mark with the Colts. Ross Dunn, leads the team with 3 home runs, 23 RBI’s and a .469 average. Dunn is also helping out while toeing the rubber. Through 21.2  innings, he hosts a 3.52 ERA and an admirable 25 strikeouts.

These players have helped lead the Colts to a 13-2 varsity record through April 20th. The J.V. team has played to a 7-4 record, while sophomores hold an 8-1 mark.

The team is not ready to call it a season. Crawford admits the outcome of the season will lean on the juniors, “I’ve said it from the very beginning, if our juniors do a good job of playing to who they are, then we’d be pretty good.  They have done that.

“If they underachieved or played like they were young, then we would be an average team. We made that jump at the very end of the fall. I’m super excited for them because I think they see what they are capable of  and they are taking that information and running with it.”

The team is ready to win and make a deep run in the playoffs with their eyes on winning the league title.