Another Civil War?

Empty street in Nicaragua

Empty street in Nicaragua

Anonymous

Anonymous

Empty street in Nicaragua

Addie Wallace, Editor-in-Chief

As of April 2018, Nicaragua is going through the biggest uprising since its civil war which ended in 1990, according to The New York Times. The president, Daniel Ortega, is under protest to be removed from presidency by the population. Ortega has been president since 2007, with a previous presidency from 1979 to 1990, and he controls most of the branches of the government. A great number of the younger generation are fighting against his leadership by burning cars, barricading roads, and swarming streets. This has caused Ortega to lose control over the people. Nicaragua closed its borders, locking everybody inside and accepting no external aid during this time of protest.

Colt Roundup interviewed Utah native, John Doe (name changed for safety purposes) who has owned a house in Nicaragua for about eleven years. He supports the Nicaraguan community by donating clothes and paying for schooling for two girls. Doe has been traveling to Nicaragua for a while and has many friends to keep him updated on local events. Doe claims that before April, “everything was awesome, the economy was going strong, people seemed to be happy, tourism was probably at all time peak.” Which, according to nicaragua.com is accurate. He then told Colt Roundup that Ortega was loved by many and that “people seemed to be content with slow to moderate growth under a socialist type of economy,” which highlights how unexpected this uprising was.

Just say a prayer for them”

— John Doe

According to abcnews,The country’s primary tourist destinations, like the colonial gem Granada and the Pacific coast surfer paradise San Juan del Sur, began feeling the consequences of the unrest almost immediately. Hotels and restaurants cut back hours, then days, and eventually closed completely.” Doe agrees saying, “A lot of people in the hotel, restaurant, travel industry… have lost a lot of jobs.” This has also affected the people traveling to Nicaragua; many feel unsafe and don’t want to visit because of the many arrests.

BBC.com claims that at least 135 protesters are being detained illegally, have been accused of terrorism, and deemed as criminals by Ortega. Doe told Colt Roundup that his friends are scared and reclusive because of everything going on around them and “they want new elections and they’re not going to have them [for] another few years.” Ortega has moved the elections forward from their original dates of March 2019, to sometime in the future because of the government overthrow. Doe doesn’t expect this to affect the States with the exception of a few families in Florida.

Colt Roundup also interviewed two Cottonwood High School Juniors, Jana Womack and Christopher Dalley, to see what they knew about this subject. Womack said she had vaguely heard of Nicaragua, and Dalley said he had heard “literally nothing” on the topic. They both agreed that it was important for people to know what was going on in Nicaragua.

Doe hopes that his friends will be alright and that it will soon be safe for his family to visit. He wishes things will improve soon and that Nicaraguans will find the peace they deserve. His last advice for everybody is to “Just say a prayer for them.”