Life of A Refugee

Muna is a Cottonwood student who immigrated from Somalia.

Muna Abdollah

Ofaanga Talanoa, Staff Writer

According to The Pew Research Center, in 2017, the limit on the number of refugees entering the United States dropped from 110,000 to about 50,000. This year it went down to approximately 45,000. President Donald Trump is trying to decrease the number of refugees entering the U.S,  explained the Secretary of State, Mike Pompeo on CNN. By 2019 the refugee admissions will drop to 30,000, which is a 33% drop.

Many refugees flee their country with hope for a better life, leaving behind the broken pieces that were created by wars, natural disaster, discrimination, and hunger.

Muna Abdollah, a junior at Cottonwood High School, is a 17 year old from Somalia who came here when she was about 12 years old. Colt Roundup asked her, “How was your life back in Somalia?” According to Ms. Abdollah, she was born and raised in Somalia. Somalia is one of the top 5 countries from which refugees flee. As for Abdollah, growing up as a child there had its struggles. According to her, you never have any freedom. Most of her life was living behind closed doors, hoping there will be a tomorrow. A normal day for her and her family was staying inside her home eating and just resting  because right outside her doorstep were people being killed and burned.

“Coming here to America gave me the opportunity to be able go to school, hang out with friends, and have a hope for the future without looking over my shoulder with fears that there’s no tomorrow,”  Abdollah said.  She also explained that now she can do much more, and her dreams are very reachable by just having the chance to live in America. “I want to have a career in [a] medical field, maybe a nurse or a doctor because I can do it now [that] I’m in America, and I’m able to help people that needs it [sic]. You know, I think I was lucky in a way that I still had food to eat compared to others that didn’t. I guess I had more chance of surviving and I’m thankful.” Colt Roundup also asked her about her life here in America. She said, “Well, I had to overcome many hardships like learning [a]new language, adapting to a new culture, and fitting in; sometimes all we need is just a friend to help, but you don’t really know anything, and all you get is the judgmental staring, mocking, and being discriminated against not only because I’m foreign but also [because] of what I look like. But that is better than being cooped up in [a] place hoping to see the next day.” 

Somehow, even though refugees go through all of this, their chance of entering the U.S. for a better life is now very low. According to Human Rights Watch, Trump’s administration continues to work toward lowering the number of refugees entering the U.S.