Crazy Lit Slang of 2022

Illustrated+by+Jamuna+

Illustrated by Jamuna

Jamuna Subba, Reporter

“Bruh, that was so cringy, I just saw that wanna be dank pick-me-girl that you ghosted. Gotta be real, not dishin tea, she was so basic, it was so sus for you to gas on a Karen like that.” If you didn’t understand that, you might be over the age of 20 and need a teen slang crash course. Not to worry. This is for you. Some of you older people may have used the term “Groovy”. If you use that in today’s society, it will not go well for you. Instead, say “Gucci”. Boom. You’re cool now.

Slang is a type of language that consists of words and phrases that are regarded as very informal, are more common in speech than writing, and typically restricted to a particular context or group of people. Teachers and students from different generations were interviewed on famous slang from their generation.

Teachers laughed at some of the current teen slang, but shared a few from their generations as well.  Janae Hirschi, social studies teacher was interviewed on what slang she used back in her teenage years. “ We would say ‘cool’, ‘awesome’, ‘sweet’, ‘legit’, and ‘bomb dot com’.” Back in high school she said that she tried to invent a new word, ‘high-key’. “ I thought it was funny how they used to do ‘low-key’; and then I thought I was funny and tried to invent ‘high key’, that was a few years ago,” said Hirschi, “I actually like ‘lit’ believe it or not. I thought it was weird at first but then I see how you condensed it down to where it is easier to say.” Her top slang that she still uses are “ I say ‘sweet sauce’ and i still say ‘bomb dot com’ those are probably my top that I still use.”

Joseph Brinton, social studies teacher at Cottonwood High School. “ I never say ‘lit’ I never say ‘cap’- I feel like I would be fake if I did. I have been using slang from when I was in high school. The slang words that he uses from high school are ‘ I’m psyched’, or ’ it’s killer’ when something is killer. I say ‘sick’ a lot.” He added, “People used to say ‘phat’ and that was when something was really cool, like ‘ oh dude, that’s so ‘phat’. When my geography teacher was teaching me, I remember he said that a super cool dude was called a ‘stallion’ like a big male horse – I don’t know – kind of weird.” The slang words he didn’t like using were ‘so-and-so got slayed’. “ I didn’t really like saying ‘so-and-so got slayed’ I feel like it’s derogatory so I didn’t really use that one but people did,” said Brinton.

A few students were interviewed on what slang words people use these days. Sydney Andrews, 10th grade said “Pick-me-people are people who basically do anything for attention, another one is ‘sus’ which means suspicious.”

Eliyah Keams, 12th grade said, “’Drip’ is more fashionable and you look clean.”

Students helped give a little context to some of the more common slang words.

“Sus”  – “This means suspicious,”  said Sydney Andrews, 10th grade.

“Ghosting”  – “Like when you leave someone on open and never talk to them again,” said Khwankhao Lin Muadotton, 10th grade.

“Gas”  – “Like when something is like awesome, then someone would say, ‘that’s gas’, said Meghan Ormond, 12th grade.

“Karen” –  “Some old, annoying lady,” said Jacky Dao, 12th grade.

“Drip” – “Drip is more fashionable …” said Eliyah Keams, 12th grade. 

I use “gaslight” and and “Girlboss” the most, said Oliver Sleight, 11th grade.

Brinton continues, ¨People used to say ‘Phat´ and that was when something was really cool, like, ´Oh dude, that´s so phat´ ¨When my geography teacher was teaching me, I remember he said that a super cool dude was called a ´stallion´ like a big male horse—I don´t know—kinda weird. When people were making out we used to call it ´slaying. I didn´t really like saying ´so-and-so got slayed´ I feel like it’s derogatory so I didn’t really use that one but people did.

All my friends were skiers so it was ´shreddin´, ´the gnar´, ´the pow-pow.´¨ 

Other words you might want to know:

Gucci = Good

Dank = Cool

Gaslight = Manipulating

Gatekeep = Not sharing information

Girlboss = She’s THAT girl

Dishing Tea = Sharing gossip

Slay = Perfect

Fit Check = Style Check