Does music actually help students?

Headphones

Does music actually help students?

Headphones

Headphones

Angel Duran

Headphones

Angel Duran

Angel Duran

Headphones

Angel Duran, Staff Writer

Students like listening to music to help them concentrate, but some teachers find listening to music disruptive when students are trying to do their work, or when they are trying to speak in the front of the classroom.  Mr. Zaharias, U.S History teacher at Cottonwood High School, said a problem he runs into is “getting their attention which is why I don’t let them listen during instruction time.”

According to author, Tom Popomaronis, some studies found that student productivity depends upon the type of music students are listening to. Some students had thoughts to add about that. Eleventh grader Deanna Wilde said, “No, any type of music would help me concentrate besides classical. Classical would put me to sleep.” Mark, an eleventh grader at Cottonwood High said, “If it’s like opera or classical, it’s not my type of music. Listening to my type of music would help me concentrate.”

Colt Roundup asked students if they find themselves being more productive with music. Halie Fortson, an eleventh grader at Cottonwood High said, “ Yes, because it puts me in a good mood and I don’t get distracted, and it helps me blur everything out and enjoy doing my work.” Mark added, “It does because nothing else is bothering me and all the other voices in the room cancel.”

Even though it’s keeping the students productive, do teachers think that they are getting more productive students during class? asked Colt Roundup.  Mr. Zaharias said, “Overall yes, that said, it’s a distraction.” Even Deanna Wilde agreed saying, “Yes the music helps but the phone is distracting.”

Several students and a teacher felt that listening to music does help student productivity in class and can help students concentrate in class, but it can lead to some distractions with the phone being easy to access.