Mass Shootings: Safety First

Addison Wallace

If you see something potentially dangerous, use the safety hotline.

Peyton Jensen, Staff Writer

Do you know how many mass shootings happened in 2018? According to ABC 15 news, there were 307 mass shootings in 2018. This is actually somewhat of an improvement considering in 2017, also according to ABC 15, there were 317 mass shootings.Because this number is so high, this article will cover some of the worst incidents, and how to stay safe in those situations.

In 2017, there was a notable shooting in Las Vegas. A man was in the Mandalay Bay Hotel with a semi-auto rifle. He used a bump stock that allowed him to shoot his weapon a lot faster than he should have been able to.  He had 24 firearms in his hotel room and he caused a total of 59 deaths. It ended up being the deadliest shooting by an individual according to CNN.

Shootings and mass violence acts have become prevalent in our modern society. People need to know how to deal with these situations correctly. According to Cottonwood sophomore, Justis Peixoto, he would try to fight if he was in a situation like this. Fighting isn’t actually the best option, according to the New York Times, the best 3 steps to take are, “run, hide, fight”. Fighting is the 3rd thing you should attempt because if anything like this were to happen, the best outcome is for no lives to be lost, and fighting is the most dangerous approach.

It’s best to take precautions in case you ever find yourself in a situation like this. One precaution is to check where all the doors and emergency exits are. According to howstuffworks.com, staying aware in general & being situationally aware are also good precautions. If you ever see someone with a weapon or something suspicious, always report it to your superiors or the police, as it could save lives. Try your hardest to escape the situation, and if you do, keep going and try to find help.

Shootings and mass violence acts can be very scary and prevalent in today’s society. There are many things we can do to prevent these situations, like making friends with the kid who gets bullied, or if you see something suspicious report it.