Life of Water

Life of Water

Janay Griffiths, staff writer

Did you know that Mother Nature has never created a new drop of water? This is because of a process called the water cycle. In this process, water circulates between the earth’s oceans, atmosphere, and land. This involves precipitation in the form of rain, snow, and drainage from streams and rivers. Then the water returns to the atmosphere by evaporation and transpiration.

Colt Roundup interviewed adults and students about the water cycle, but some failed to know about it. It’s important to know about the water cycle because most people have filtered water at home, but little do they know that the water cycle is the natural filtering system for our water. Of course, when water goes through the water cycle and filters the water, it doesn’t filter it to the point where we can drink it. That is why we have tap water, but many people prefer to have bottled water or filtered water. We are one of the lucky countries to have such accessible water. According to Quartz, “In a study of 25 countries in sub-Saharan Africa, UNICEF estimated that women there spent 16 million hours collecting water each day.” 

Since water is a renewable source, it can go through many processes either through nature or people. The process of nature is the water cycle. The process people do is water filtration to get our household water. The artificial process has 5 steps, coagulation and flocculation, sedimentation, filtration, disinfection, and storage. The first step, coagulation and flocculation is where chemicals with a positive charge are added to the water to neutralize the negative charge of dirt and other particles. As a result, the particles bind and make floc. During the second step, the floc settles to the bottom. In the third step, filtration, the clear water on top will go through various filters of different composition to remove particles such as dust parasites, bacteria, viruses, and chemicals. The fourth step is disinfection. A disinfectant may be added to kill any remaining harmful substances to protect the water when it is traveling through the pipes. The fifth step is storage. When the water is purified and ready for distribution it will be stored until its needed.

The average person uses about a 100 gallons of water a day. Thirty gallons of that water is wasted. We usually never realize we waste water; it’s unintentional for the most part, like when we brush our teeth and leave the water running. Even going to the restroom can waste water, each time we flush it uses 5 gallons of water. Since water is the most important natural source, we shouldn’t be wasting it like we’ve been doing.

There are lots of ways to save water and when interviewing people a lot of people said they try to save water. However, there are still lots of ways we can save water that people may not know about like turning off the tap when its unnecessary to have it on, fix leaky fixtures or get more water efficient fixtures, water outdoor plants early in the morning, and with inside plants use leftover pasta liquid or collected rain water. Be careful with showers as in showering less and taking shorter showers. The average household uses 400 gallons a day, and by using these methods you could help bring those water statistics down.