Hats-Off to Wearing Hats

Hats-Off to Wearing Hats

A school-issued Colt Pride Hat.

A school-issued Colt Pride Hat.

Nicole Long

A school-issued Colt Pride Hat.

Nicole Long

Nicole Long

A school-issued Colt Pride Hat.

Nicole Long, Assistant Editor/Staff Writer

Cottonwood High School was founded in 1970, and the rule of wearing no hoods or hats was established not long after. For many years, students ask the same question because they don’t know the real reason behind the rule of not wearing hats or hoods. When Colt Roundup spoke to Josh Ball, a junior at Cottonwood, about why the rule may have been put in place, he said, “Because you have the ability to hide stuff in your hat” without people suspecting.

Colt Roundup later interviewed one of Cottonwood’s assistant principals, Mr. Miller, who said, “The original rule was put in place because they were concerned about gang affiliation. But for me, it’s not really that, it’s to identify who an individual is…If there are people that shouldn’t be on campus, that do come on campus, most of the time, they are in a hat or a hoodie…It’s a safety thing more than anything. When you have people that are wearing their hoods or their hat, then we can’t identify who they are. Then if there is a problem or a concern and we need to address the people of a certain area, then it’s hard.” This summer, however, the staff made a new rule to allow Colt Pride hats to be worn on the grounds. That way anyone wearing a Colt Pride hat can be easily recognized, as well as build school spirit.

Mr. Miller told Colt Roundup about teachers enforcing the “no hats” rule. “ I think there are some that do, and some that don’t… You know, me as a teacher, I never liked kids to wear them because I wanted to be able to see their eyes while I was teaching. I wanted to be able to make eye contact and be interactive with them. I always feel like, as a teacher and a football coach, that kids can hide behind the brim and then not focus on what they need to be focusing on.”

After being told the real reason for the rule, Colt Roundup interviewed Josh Ball again to see what he thought of the rule. He replied with, “See, now that is a good reason, but most students don’t know that. I feel like if the staff tells us why we have that rule, and showcase it during lock down drills, then maybe it will come across as more important to teachers and students.”

As Mr. Miller said, “It truly is a safety thing.”