Bullying Throughout the Education System

Principal+Roylance+holds+a+district+safety+hotline+poster.+

Principal Roylance holds a district safety hotline poster.

Joshua Parker

Joshua Parker

Joshua Parker

Josh Ball, Staff Writer

Bullying is a widespread epidemic throughout the United States. Bullying is 100% avoidable. There are specific steps administrators and students can take to prevent bullying. A student attending a Granite School District junior high was a victim of bullying.  He said, “The name calling was the first thing [the bully] did, after that it was threats of fighting me and being physical. He wanted to ‘go bodies’.” Go bodies means to only inflict pain on the torso area. This whole situation could have been avoided if the proper authorities were notified of the threats of violence.  

Bullying in schools happens every single day, and kids suffer from physical and mental injuries. According to the U.S. Department of Education, in 2013, 22% of 12-18 year olds reported being bullied. According to the National Bullying Prevention Center, in 2016, 33% reported being bullied. This shows an upward trend.

Bullying comes in different forms, from verbal bullying to physical. Situations can and should be handled in the proper way. Getting the authorities involved at the first sign is usually helpful to dissipate the situation.

One preventative step that can be taken is notifying the parents or guardians of the students involved with the bullying. Students might omit details about bullying to avoid showing a vulnerable side of themselves. Another preventative step is to train teachers to be open and how to handle bullying at first signs. Bullying occurs in the halls at school or during lunch outside; these times have limited monitoring from teachers or administrators. It’s less likely for there to be a problem when faculty and staff are present and consequences can be given.

With these different steps schools can be a safer and more welcoming place for students and parents. Terri Roylance, the principal at Cottonwood High School was asked, how do you get involved with bullying situations. Roylance said, “Teachers are taught to prevent bullying and how to stop it. The best way to get bullying to stop is student intervention. The act of a student overhearing the bullying and walking past and saying ‘knock it off!’ can do more than any principal or administrator.”

Bullies usually have some insecurities of their own. Instead of using a productive coping method, they act out and take their problems out on others. This is not the case for everyone, but this is a common theme throughout bullying cases. Sage Nelson a counselor at Cottonwood High School was interviewed on this subject and said “Prevention is the ideal thing, gather information on the subject and if this is a real situation, sit down and talk through the situation and come to a resolution.” This usually is a good way to get the situation to diminish, but we must be firm on the stance of zero tolerance in schools.

In my opinion, by using these different steps to prevent bullying we can see schools being safer and having more attendance and better testing grades. I believe that when we are comfortable, we are more likely to do better on tests and assignments. Using these tips, that do not take much time or effort, we can improve the school systems throughout the United States.