Nap for Your Health

Nap for Your Health

A student attempting to learn via osmosis.

Nicole Long

Nicole Long

Nicole Long

Nicole Long, Assistant Editor/Staff Writer

“There have been days where the thing I look forward to all day is my nap after school. One time, I went straight home and slept for three hours.” – Addison Wallace

According to The Washington Post, school can be both physically and mentally draining to a student’s energy. Even though the students aren’t completely active throughout the school day, it can be equally as exhausting as standing and walking around like some of the teachers. Sleep.org says that an effective way to help with the drowsiness is a nap. “Naps boost alertness and improve motor performance, which is why you feel energized after taking one.” When Colt Roundup asked junior Addison Wallace her opinion on this topic, she replied, “I think for me, it’s mostly the same, but after a nap, I’m happier, so I’m more willing to do homework and stuff.”

The National Sleep Foundation says there are three types of napping. The first, planned napping, involves taking a nap before you actually get sleepy. The second, emergency napping, occurs when you are suddenly very tired and cannot continue with what you were originally engaged in. Finally, there is habitual napping, which is when a person takes a nap at the same time each day.

The average nap is about 90 minutes, but Thrive Global recommends 20 to 30 minutes for short-term alertness. “A 20 minute snooze is ideal to enhance motor skills and attention, while an hour to 90 minutes of napping brings Rapid Eye Movement (REM) sleep, which helps make new connections in the brain and can aid in solving creative problems.”

The National Sleep Foundation also says the best time of day to take a nap is between 2:00 and 3:00 PM because most people have already eaten lunch and your blood sugar and energy levels will naturally start to dip. Addison has also noted that the amount of sleep she gets at night affects how long she would nap for, if she decided to take one. “If I got more sleep, then I’d nap less.” Senior Aaron Llamas told Colt Roundup, “As a student preparing for graduation, I have a lot to do for school, so I would stay up later to get everything done…School definitely affects how much sleep I get through naps and throughout the night.”

As the Very Well Mind says, “Napping can benefit your health if you get the right amount of it.”