Parking Lot Mayhem!

Parking Lot Mayhem!

Josh Ball, Staff Writer

The parking lot, sometimes stressful, sometimes empty. It varies from day to day and time of the day. One thing that is consistent is the risks we all take when we decide to drive in a very crowded area. Teenage drivers are usually seen as unskilled and technically lacking. According to the CDC in 2018, Per mile driven, teen drivers ages 16 to 19 are nearly three times more likely than drivers aged 20 and older to be in a fatal crash. 

Parking lot accidents are among one of the most avoidable crashes in the United States, being aware and focused on what you are doing is a key to avoiding accidents. Terri Roylance, The principal at Cottonwood Highschool released an email concerning the rules in the parking lot to reiterate the issues we face every day. Roylance said “We have a police officer in the parking lot during the mornings and at the end of the day. Parents and students tend to be more cautious when there is police presence.” 

A common problem here at cottonwood is parents parking in the school bus specific spots for pickup and dropoff. Roylance responded to this issue saying “ If the parents would wait 7 minutes and act like school gets out at 2:20 we would have no issue with the parents parking in the bus spots, that is enough time for the bus to leave.” This also reveals some of the people trying to pickup at one time. Most parking lots have issues with this due to a large of amount of people wanting to be there at one time. 

Every three years schools have current lines repainted in the parking lot to increase visibility and help direct parents without wasting man power. Relatively Cottonwood’s parking lot is safe, there is no such thing as a perfect parking lot. We have the ability to fix the minor problems we face regularly by being aware and having everyone work together to be safe and courteous. 

Roylance said “ That one act of being negligent and not having awareness of your surroundings can ruin someone’s day. It’s always best to be careful especially on 1300 East. A few years ago there was a student who was hit and had to be hospitalized for multiple months.” We can all be more careful and drive safer to ensure student safety.