New Principal’s Policies Aim to Boost Student Success

New Principals Policies Aim to Boost Student Success

Mikkah Pacheco and Joanita Goodson, Contributor

This year, Cottonwood High School welcomed Michael Douglas as the new principal. Many students would like to learn more about him and his plans for the future of the school. Douglas is focused on specific policies intended to improve the graduation rate and contribute to student success. 

Douglas said, “I want each and every student to graduate with their class!”

“The best thing that I can do as your principal is to ensure that you are in class learning, during class time,” he continued. “Holding students to a high standard of attendance and punctuality will help all students to have the best chance of success at Cottonwood and beyond.”

He has started to make his mark on the school. Beginning with weekly attendance tickets to get students motivated to attend class on time, major improvements to the school’s official website,  and modifications to the school’s dress code to allow students to wear non-Cottonwood hats, his goal is to boost student morale by creating “a sense of belonging, purpose, and comfort in the school community.”  

Douglas grew up in Salt Lake and attended Cyprus High. His career in education began in 2005, when he was hired as a school teacher, then he advanced to assistant principal, and finally to the position of a high school principal. 

Douglas originally dreamed of being a football coach, but instead became interested in working within the district. This ambition led to him earning his Master’s Degree in Educational Leadership and eventually applying to be Cottonwood’s principal. 

What motivates him? 

“I want to help people; that’s what gets me out of bed every morning, and I want to help young people especially,” Douglas said. ” I don’t think there is a better way of helping people than to help them with their education.”