Learning New Skills During Social Isolation

Clara Boas, Feature editor/Photographer

Leticia Silva 11th grade. at home studying Chinese on her computer and writing on her journal
Clara Boas

Staying isolated and the act of washing hands is one of the best ways to keep viruses from spreading. However, a virus or an epidemic doesn’t stop time or life. Life still goes on. Human beings are social so whenever the social aspect is taken away human beings don’t know how to cope. Learning new things is one of the best ways to keep the brain focusing and active without social activity. Nowadays the world is full of information that can be used for time waste or time management. People can learn new skills anytime anywhere and now is the best time.

“Yeah, it’s kinda hard now but like it’s not so bad because of all the technology and like the internet to help us stay busy,” said Serena Vilas.

The internet and Youtube are great ways to learn something new, which can improve knowledge and help to focus more. Great skills one can learn are: learning a new language, learning origami, flexibility or exercising or even learning to play an instrument.

These are all or somewhat accessible to all. Going to the Youtube page and or the internet and typing, “how to “fill in the blank” there are countless videos and or articles to study to learn. Even though the world is in an epidemic there are still so many opportunities all around. Because of all the technology and knowledge available one can go at their own pace. If learning is a struggle for some students, learning on the internet is extremely perfect. It is manageable and there should be no excuse for one to learn a new skill “…like even now I’m learning how to write Chinese and it’s cool, cause I can do it in my home and go at my own pace,” said Leticia Silva.  

To conclude there are so many opportunities and skills readily available anytime and anywhere and might as well not to waste it. 

Serena Vilas 9th Grade learn about college and careers to pursue
Clara Boas
Clara Boas