Positive Takeaways: COVID-19 School Dismissal

Caitlin Wright, Design Editor

Though the recent COVID-19 school dismissal has been stressful and inconvenient, there are many things schools can take from this experience to apply in the future.

Schools all over the world have been forced to shut down to prevent the spreading of the COVID-19 virus. Some of these schools have moved to versions of online schooling. Though this situation is quite inconvenient, it is important to focus on the positive things and consider what we can learn from all of this. A survey taken by Science News Daily has shown that many have actually benefitted from this entire situation. It has also shown that those who focus on the good of this situation have had a better experience than those focusing on the bad. From this experience, schools may learn new things about their students and classes, and they may learn more ways to hold classes even when people are unable to physically attend school, such as on snow days.

During this pandemic, schools have successfully moved most students from in class to online learning. Students are now learning through many different programs such as Google Classroom, Canvas, and Zoom. Though not all students have access to a computer or WiFi, if those issues could be resolved, online learning could save students from having to make up a day’s work later because they were unable to attend.

Kayla Balling, business and marketing teacher, believes we can benefit greatly from online learning as an option. Balling pointed out the fact that many colleges offer online class, noting that it provides flexibility in people’s schedules and is quite convenient. However, the success rate for completing online college classes is not great. Balling said, “Moving online has provided a safe space to practice online learning and see if it works for them.” But she also pointed out the fact that some students do not always perform very well when it comes to online schooling. It really depends on the student.

Greg Coleman, LIA teacher, agrees that there are many positive things that can come from this experience. Coleman said, “I think that the school system/districts can learn how to use online school as a viable alternative to “make-up packets” and attending summer school as an effective way for credit recovery.” Though this would not apply to all students, Coleman made the point that it would help those who are credit deficient greatly and give them a shot at making graduation a reality. He also said, ‘This system may benefit students who are more acclimated to technology, have transportation issues, family issues with younger siblings, or who are working a job and set time can be more flexible.”

Student Bhagya Bhujel, 9th grade, thinks a lot can be learned from our current situation and that, if needed, it could be applied in the future. Bhujel said, “This COVID-19 situation can benefit us in the future, making us more prepared for these kinds of situations.”