Grades Slipping as Distance Learning Continues

Kaydence Mallon, Editor nd Chief

Due to Covid-19 students have been forced to adjust to distance learning since March 14th. Students have gone from having a teacher physically with them, helping them stay motivated to do their work, to now having to get themselves to do it on their own. This change with the additional lack of motivation that comes with social distancing and being home all the time has caused students to let their grades slip, and not get their work done.

Adyl Abdullayev, freshman, said, “My grades are doing bad right now, because I am not used to the way we’re doing school now.”

Being at home gave students time to relax and not worry so much about school and that is what they’re used to. Vesal Azmayandeh, freshman, said, “My grades have been slipping, because I have not been putting in the effort.”

Students have to push themselves to keep good grades without the presence of their teachers, which is hard without the motivation of the teacher in the room. It’s also nearing the end of the year, which is when students tend to slack off more and more.

Anastacia De La Cruz said, “My grades are not the worst, but are not where I want them to be, because I find it hard to stay motivated and totally on top of it.” 

Teachers have been sending home e-mails, making phone calls and school counselors and administrators have even been making home visits to try to reach struggling students. Lizzy Hulet, AVID teacher, said, “This has been such a stressful experience for all of us. As teachers, we have tried to open every door to help students learn, but many lack computer or internet access, or are caring for younger siblings while there parents look for work. I believe a lot of our learning this quarter is not just academic, it’s about being resilient in the face of challenges, and about being kind and supportive even when we ourselves feel worried too.”

As the 2019-2020 school year comes to a close, it is one that will not be forgotten as we look toward fall and wait to see how the academic experience will continue to evolve.